Hello there!

Welcome to my blog, brought into existence because I believe in the power of stories. I hope you'll find a few things you like here. Let me know what you think and leave me any verdict, suggestion, challenge or request you want.


Happy readings!

Tuesday 1 March 2011

March of the penguin - 150 story, entry to the 5th in-thread writing competition

Since I hadn't put this up yet and I'm busy today, I scheduled this story. It was my entry to the 5th edition of the in-thread writing competition in the Blogger Help Forum (aka 'The Coffee Shop'). I suppose most of you who are active in the forum and participate in the contests have already read it, but for those of you who haven't, here it is.

challenge
write a story of exactly 150 words containing these 5 obligatory words (the ones put in bold): dictator, troop, riding, questionnaire, penguin.


my entry

The contest was finally won by Victoria P. You can read her entry in the thread or in my post on it.
"The new dictator promised his people that he would lead them to victory. The masses were jubilant.

He set off to pound at foreign gates still contemplating one thing: his Arms for the troops. He needed a predator that would inspire trembling in his enemies and still be original. Lions, wolves and tigers, they had become banal. He wanted something fresh to dress his soldiers up as. They would march upon capitals like the animals themselves, mimic its roars making a racket that would incline the boldest to surrender before even a drop of blood was spilled. Their fierceness would be food for legends.

Riding his horse, he thought long and hard, but could not make up his mind. In a fit of brief democracy, he gave out a questionnaire.

A servant handed him an envelope, which he eagerly opened and was taken aback.

“You guys want a frigging penguin?!”"

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I didn't get a chance to read this one on the forum but I like it a lot. I knew where it was going because of the required words but the ending still made me chuckle. Good work.

    You've been posting a lot lately! I'm trying to keep up, I commented on another of your poems but I think it got deleted or something. Anyway I really like all the ways you experiment with your poetry. I love playing with the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, Diego. And yes, I have been rather productive lately, with poetry at least. I should be, with my long absence. But I'm also reworking the poetry page and squeezing in older poems as separate posts, hence the (temporarily) large quantities.

    Take your time, I'm happy you're here reading, no mattter how long it takes ;). I do so love getting comments and you're always a faithful reader. One I should take as a example more...

    Wonder what happened with the comment. Do you mean on the elegiac set? Because I did see that one.

    And that's what the language is for ;) But I can get freer in English, since that is all under penname. Though I can't stop myself from rhyming lately.

    Anyways, thanks so much for stopping by. You made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the story and I definitely like the idea of certain words used by everyone!
    I often reach out to people to give me random words so I can spin them into something creative :)
    I am a new follower of yours and I cant wait for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Glad to have you, so feel welcome ;)
    There is a lovely word generator I use for random words. That way you can get as many as you want whenever you want. It can also be used for phrases and sentences.

    http://watchout4snakes.com/CreativityTools/RandomWord/RandomWord.aspx

    It's a very handy tool when you're a little low on inspiration or when you'd like a challenge.

    I have another 150 words story scheduled for tomorrow :)

    We sometimes hold contests in the forum, but I don't know when the next one will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lil something on my page for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...